Friday, June 12, 2009

What's Your REAL problem??

When was the last time you exhausted excessive time and cash solving a problem simply to come across the problem you thought you had wasn't really the problem at all?

Recognizing the real quandary is necessary to any problem-solving venture. John Dewey said, "A problem is half solved if it is properly stated."
Below are two clear tools that can help you figure out the real problem behind the problem. One tool, ask "Why" questions and a second tool, "change the Action Verb."

Ask Why?

Simply ask the question, Why? A man bought a pair of tan suede leather shoes. About a week after he bought the shoes, he was in the grocery store reaching to a top shelf for a container of cooking oil. Unfortunately, the screw-top of the oil bottle was loose and when tipped a big, fat drop of oil fell right on the suede of the man's shoes. There, smack in the middle of the tan suede was a dark circle of oil about the size of a quarter. The man was beside himself because his new shoes were ruined. Before he tossed the pair, however, he would try to remove the stain. He tried dishwashing and dishwasher soap, bath soap, laundry detergent, baking soda as well as various blends. The stain would not budge. The question, "Why do you wish the stain out?" was asked. Ah, The next thing you knew there were new possibilities. The reality was that the stain itself was not a problem. The reality that the shoes were not a consistent color was the problem. "How to take home the shoes a continuing color" deserved attention. Quickly, there was an idea to put oil on the rest of the suede so the shoes would be one consistent color. Oil built especially for shoes was purchased and applied. It worked! The shoes were a little darker as opposed to initial but all one consistent color. The real situation was solved with tiny cost and minimal effort.
The suede shoes are a clever example of how considering why a "problem" exists may trigger to an underlying issue and, in turn, shine a new sunshine on a good amount opportunities for solutions.

Change the verb

When considering problem solutions try changing the action verb. Changing the verb may open the statement up to a broader interpretation, resulting in a greater array of solutions. For example, I woke one recent morning and found my way to the kitchen in search of my usual fried egg white omelet. Every Evening of a good day I suffer a fried egg white omelet. I cracked the eggs, separated out the yolks, and put the whites in a pan. The pan headed to the gas stove top. I turned the knob but was bewildered by the fact which no fire started. Then I saw it, a gas truck was parked in the alley behind my house. I spoke to the driver who informed me that a city worker had penetrated the gas line while digging. It would be hours before the gas might be restored. What was I to do? My fried egg whites were in jeopardy; my "good" day was at stake. I quickly looked everywhere the room to see how other methods were available to fry my egg whites. I thought, "the coffee maker has a heating element." I could put the pan of egg whites on the coffee-maker. Unfortunately, the element did not get hot an adequate amount of to fry the eggs. I looked around again. I spied a popcorn popper. I could use the bottom of the popper, put the eggs directly on the component and the eggs ought to fry. Success! The eggs did fry, the consistency was a little distinct and they did taste somewhat corny but they fried!

I was so excited about my creative challenges solving skills. When my husband came home so evening I said, "Guess what I did today!" I eagerly imparted upon him of my fried egg dilemma and how I tried the coffee maker and the popcorn popper and ultimately was able to eat my fried eggs. He looked at me in on a confused expression. Finally he spoke, "Why didn't you just use the microwave?"

What happened to my desired plan? I was so focused on the idea of "frying" the eggs that I completely overlooked my real purpose which was to "heat" the eggs. If I had changed the action verb from "fry" to "heat" I would hold immediately went to the microwave.

Two obvious tools, 1) Ask "Why" and 2) Change the Action Verb can save significantly minute and struggle when problem solving.

Maybe when on your next problem solving mission you might also wear suede shoes while eating an egg white omelet….. can't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you want fresh eggs from Cebu City. Prices of the eggs are based on its size. Eggs are freshly gathered daily from a poultry farm here in Cebu. Contact : Virgilio Vallecera Feel free to message me at versvall2008@yahoo.com or 6332 2548618 for more details and info. Available at wholesale and retail.